Dear John, book review

 
"Dear John", this book would never have been on my desk. Though I like to write romance(though I don’t remember when was the last time I wrote romance), reading of this genre was never my cup of tea. Actually it happened so that I had heard praises for the film, "The notebook". And my sis the other day watched it and liked it a lot. So I decided to watch it. Now the question was, whether to watch the film first or to read the book on it. Now I have read Nora Robert(writes romance) earlier and I knew I can't read anything of the genre.
 
It's that my sis's vacation has started and shockingly she wanted to read book, A book but one that will not need any amount of thinking. She started searching for teenage romance. For me it’s like, God! These books are so dumb. But she wanted it nevertheless. So I thought about The notebook. But it was already in circulation, so the picked next book of the same author. I know I don’t need to write all this but thoughts are pouring out my head and I am glad that I read this book. In fact my sis must have read just 50 pages but I have completed the book already. Now about the story.
An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who has captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love—and face the hardest decision of his life.
The book is written in three parts. The first one is about the time when the two meet and fall in love. Now reading this part was difficult for me. It was mushy with lots of repetition and I felt to discard the book a million times. But I have this necessity to complete every book that I pick up. So I continued. It was okay.

The second and third part is about the their lives in separation. Now I have to say this that even though the first part I felt mushy, I think it was the base of the 2nd part, and then I felt the same mushy parts beautiful. I mean the way it was written was beautiful. In second part, I could make sense of the first part. And the third part was much more beautiful. It was sad but this was more than a teenage romance, it was about reality, true love, hurt and emotion, of love, betrayal, care, desire. I think the writer has done such a marvellous job that I had my own screenplay running as I read the book. And the book touched me, it was wonderful.

I liked the story. But more than that I admired the author's skills to use the perfect words to get the situation or emotions reach out to you. The best example of that would be the ending, it couldn't have been better written.

Highly recommended
My rating - 4 of 5 stars

Comments

Popular Posts